Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: I bit the bullet

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All, I ordered a pair of 80hz straight horns and salad bowls from Dr. Edgar this morning. I have altec 515G for the 80s and altec 288C for the salad bowls. I have never heard his horns with these drivers do I am going in blind, but I trust it. Does anyone have pics of what they have done with this combo? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ckdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2003
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I?m on a similar track and I?m now using 288K?s (with 291 membranes) on Edgar?s 350 Hz salad bowls and they are excellent! So I assume you won?t be disappointed.

    The Edgar?s provide the benefits that you expect from horns without disadvantages like the "ringing" and horn resonances that come with many other designs. (Have used 811?s and 511?s amongst many others). Maybe a
    tad less "fun factor" but much more neutral.


    I assume it is the combination of the round tractrix expansion with a superb build quality (i.e. massive wood with good damping) that makes them superior.

    Please let us know your findings on the 80Hz horn vs. the A7 like "hybrid" (i.e. horn/bass reflex)

    Regards

    Claus K

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Comparing it to an A7 is apples n' oranges, it should trounce the A7's horn section even if it's a suitably rigid/dense round version of it, though of course it won't play nearly as low as the A7. Extend the mouth until it's the same length as the Edgar and I believe the results will be reversed.

    GM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi GM, the Edgar straight 80 only goes down to 80 hz so my next step it to order his Siesmic sub. I have to get the mid and midbass up and running to show my wife that we NEED the sub. Cheers.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your wife is THAT easy to convince. You're a lucky man! forums

    Hope the new system works out for you.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Almost forgot, how's the ears.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for asking about the ears. Turns out I had a low grade infection in my sinuses (SP) and as soon as I started taking horse sized antibiotics, it all cleared up. What a relief. It was to the point of being painful and the ringing was drowning out normal conversation. Cheers.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Hmm, it's my understanding it's a true 80 Hz Tractrix. If so, then it will begin unloading around ~113 Hz so it will indeed require a sub, though I'm told his sub seamlessly blends to it so it's a moot point as long as it's not positioned too far away from either channel.

    Glad your hearing was an easily corrected problem. Infections can destroy your hearing in short order if not caught in time.

    GM

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Howdy Igor!

    I found Dr. Edgar's website but there isn't much there. Is there a place with more information?

    Link to Edgarhorn website

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Ah, OK, thanks! All I knew was that he's been a big proponent of Tractrix for all the BW until recently when he decided the LF/sub BW was better off being either hyperbolic or hypex, I can't remember which now.

    GM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.